About the Instructor
Dr. Paul Stremick retired in 2019 after 31 years in education. He is a native North Dakotan and currently resides in Walhalla, North Dakota where he was raised. He served as a superintendent in five districts in three different states. The districts in North Dakota included Grafton, Dickinson and North Border. In 2018, Dr. Stremick was named the North Dakota Superintendent of the year.
Dr. Stremick took a leading role in a lawsuit against the State of North Dakota to create equitable and adequate funding for all school districts. Since that time, he has been involved in the re-writes of the school foundation aid formula in North Dakota.
Dr. Stremick teaches classes and offers seminars for the North Dakota School Boards Association. He has also taught at the University of North Dakota in the areas of school finance and policy for Master and Doctoral level students. He is currently doing consulting work for school districts throughout the state.
Important Course Dates
Course meeting date: July 27, 2020 (8:30 am- 12:00 pm)
Class meeting location: Zoom
Final assessment due date: September 30, 2020
- NDCC Ch. 57-15 and 15.1-27, School Finance Facts website: https://www.nd.gov/dpi/sites/www/files/documents/SFO/2020_FinFacts.pdf
- Chapter 1 and 2 of Understanding School Finance
- State Aid 2018-19: https://www.nd.gov/dpi/sites/www/files/documents/SFO/Equity_Report_2020_01.pdf https://www.nd.gov/dpi/sites/www/files/documents/SFO/Stateaidform8yrcompar.pdf
- Funding Schools Adequately in North Dakota, Recalibration: http://picusodden.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ND-Picus-Odden-Associates-Recalibration-Report-June-4-20141.pdf
- Title I Information: https://www.nd.gov/dpi/education-programs/federal-title-programs/titleI
- Guidance Pertaining to Title II, Part A, Allowable Use of Funds: https://www.nd.gov/dpi/education-programs/federal-title-programs/title-ii-part-supporting-effective-instruction
- Reading assignments for this course are as follows. Please read Chapters 1 and 2 of Understanding School Finance. Please review the Title I Fast Facts and Guidance Pertaining to Title II, Part A. Please printout out and review Finance Facts and the State Aid reports. All documents are listed above.
- Final Assignment: The final assignment for this class will be worth 80 points. The instructor will provide you with guidance on this final assessment during class. The final assessment for this class will consist of a budgeting exercise. The due date is September 30, 2020.
Questions about the course? Email: Paul.Stremick@outlook.com