About the Instructor
Prior to retiring on March 12, 2021, Robin Hill served as the Human Resources Director for West Fargo Public Schools since 1997. She holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, and a Master’s in Business Administration from NDSU. Robin holds a Professional in Human Resources Credential, along with a SHRM Certified Professional credential. As West Fargo Public School’s HR Director, she supervises all the district’s HR functions including Payroll. Robin is a member of the Fargo-Moorhead Human Resources Association and Agassiz Valley Human Resources Association, along with the Society for Human Resource Management.
Important Course Dates
Course meeting date: October 26, 2022 (9:00 – 12:30 p.m.)
Class meeting location: Bismarck Hotel (Formerly Ramkota Hotel), Sheyenne Room
Final assignment due date: November 30, 2022
Reading assignments to be completed prior to class:
- Human Resources Reference Guide for Local Governments in ND
- Chapter 1 – Sections on open meetings, open records and confidentiality of personnel records
- Chapter 2 – Recruitment & Selection
- Chapter 3 – Section on Fair Labor Standards Act
- Chapter 4 – Sections on Employment Discrimination and Grievance
- The North Dakota Human Rights Law
Websites for Reference
- Veteran’s Preference
- North Dakota Department of Labor
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- U.S. Department of Labor
- American Association of School Personnel Administrators
- Society for Human Resources Management
- O*NET OnLine
- This website has detailed descriptions of the world of work for use by job seekers, workforce development and HR professionals.
Preparation for Class on October 26
Please bring or be able to access the following:
- Your District’s Teacher Negotiated Agreement and Employee Manuals – Please be able to access them.
- The required reading assignments listed above. Please review these prior to class.
Session I. Staffing Process: Recruitment and Selection Presentation
Session II. Fair Labor Standards Act: Labor Laws Presentation
Session III: Personnel Files & Investigations Presentation
Human Resources I Toolbox:
- 1-JD Middle School Principal 2018
- 2-JD Behavior Technician
- 3-Sample Job Postings
- 4-Sample Application Form Classified
- 5-Library Media Spec Template Screening Rubric
- 6-Template Para Screener
- 7-Phone Reference Form – Teacher
- 8- Phone Reference Form – Classified
- 9-Personnel File Layout Example
- 10-Investigation Report Tracker
- 11-Sample Investigation Questions
- 12-Investigating Employee Misconduct NDSBA presentation
- Applications for Public Employment – Hiring Process – Confidential
- May 2015 Policy Ponderings
Final Assignment and Exam
The instructor will provide you with two writing assignments at the class meeting. Instructions will be provided to you in class. Your completed assignments must be returned via email to email@example.com by November 30, 2022.
The final exam for this class will be an online, 25 question, multiple choice test. Once you have completed the exam, click “Submit.” A screen will appear with your recorded answers and final exam score. The exam due date is November 30, 2022. No proctor form is required.
Click here to access the exam.
Questions about the course? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org