About the Instructor
Prior to retiring on March 12, 2021, Robin Hill served as the Human Resources Director for West Fargo Public Schools since 1997. She holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, and a Master’s in Business Administration from NDSU. Robin holds a Professional in Human Resources Credential, along with a SHRM Certified Professional credential. As West Fargo Public School’s HR Director, she supervises all the district’s HR functions including Payroll. Robin is a member of the Fargo-Moorhead Human Resources Association and Agassiz Valley Human Resources Association, along with the Society for Human Resource Management.
Important Course Dates
Course meeting date: November 8, 2023
Course Time: TBD CT
Class meeting location: Bismarck Career Academy, Multipurpose Room A or B
Final assignment due date: December, 2023
Human Resources I Syllabus
Reading assignments to be completed prior to class:
- Human Resources Reference Guide for Local Governments in ND
- Chapter 1 – Sections on open meetings, open records and confidentiality of personnel records
- Chapter 2 – Recruitment & Selection
- Chapter 3 – Section on Fair Labor Standards Act
- Chapter 4 – Sections on Employment Discrimination and Grievance
- The North Dakota Human Rights Law
Websites for Reference
- Veteran’s Preference
- North Dakota Department of Labor
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- U.S. Department of Labor
- American Association of School Personnel Administrators
- Society for Human Resources Management
- O*NET OnLine
- This website has detailed descriptions of the world of work for use by job seekers, workforce development and HR professionals.
Preparation for Class on November 8
Please bring or be able to access the following:
- Your District’s Teacher Negotiated Agreement and Employee Manuals – Please be able to access them.
- The required reading assignments listed above. Please review these prior to class.
Human Resources I Toolbox:
- 1-JD Middle School Principal 2018
- 2-JD Behavior Technician
- 3-Sample Job Postings
- 4-Sample Application Form Classified
- 5-Library Media Spec Template Screening Rubric
- 6-Template Para Screener
- 7-Phone Reference Form – Teacher
- 8- Phone Reference Form – Classified
- 9-Personnel File Layout Example
- 10-Investigation Report Tracker
- 11-Sample Investigation Questions
- 12-Investigating Employee Misconduct NDSBA presentation
- Applications for Public Employment – Hiring Process – Confidential
- May 2015 Policy Ponderings
Final Assignment and Exam
The instructor will provide you with two writing assignments at the class meeting. Instructions will be provided to you in class. Your completed assignments must be returned via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by December, 2023.
The final exam for this class will be an online, 25 question, multiple choice test. Once you have completed the exam, click “Submit.” A screen will appear with your recorded answers and final exam score. The exam due date is December, 2023. No proctor form is required.
Click here to access the exam.
Questions about the course? Email: email@example.com
Where to stay? A room block has been reserved at the Hampton Inn & Suites for November 7. You can make your reservations online at https://www.hilton.com/en/book/reservation/deeplink/?ctyhocn=BISNWHX&groupCode=CHHBMT&arrivaldate=2023-11-07&departuredate=2023-11-08&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,EN,DirectLink&fromId=HILTONLINKDIRECT or by calling the hotel at 701-751-5656. Other hotels in the close area are: Home2Suites
Meals: Light breakfast, refreshments, and lunch will be provided on both days of the New Student Training.
Directions to the Career Academy: 1221 College Dr, Bismarck, ND 58501. There are parking lots surrounding the building.