About the Instructor
Prior to retiring on March 12, 2021, Robin Hill served as the Human Resources Director for West Fargo Public Schools since 1997. She holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, and a Master’s in Business Administration from NDSU. Robin holds a Professional in Human Resources Credential, along with a SHRM Certified Professional credential. As West Fargo’s HR Director, she supervised all the district’s HR functions including Payroll. Robin is a member of the Fargo-Moorhead Human Resources Association and Agassiz Valley Human Resources Association, along with the Society for Human Resource Management.
Important Course Dates
Class Time and Location: March 18, 2021, 8:30 – 12:00 pm
Course Delivery: Zoom
Due Dates for Assignments & Final Exam:
- Students listen to Session 1 prior to class on March 18;
- Assignment #1 due by March 31;
- Assignment #2 due by April 15;
- Final Exam due by April 15.
- Your district’s negotiated agreement
- Your district’s employee handbooks
- Your district’s school board policies relating to personnel
- Summary Plan Descriptions: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Section 125 Flex Plan
- Human Resource Guide for Local Governments & Public School Employers Handbook http://www.ndirf.com/reference-section/guides-and-handbooks/
Read and familiarize yourself with the reference documents in your School District:
- Negotiated agreement for your school district
- District employee handbooks and Administrative Policies
- School board policies pertaining to all classifications of personnel
- Skim the summary Plan Descriptions for any/all of your insurance plans and flex
Review the following online resources: http://www.ndirf.com/reference-section/guides-and-handbooks/
- Human Resources Reference Guide for Local Governments
- Chapter 3 – Compensation & Benefits
- Chapter 4 – Employee Relations
- ND Public School Employers Handbook
- Chapter 2 – Classified Staff
- Chapter 3 – Teachers and Principals
- Review Appendices
There will be three assignments for this course. Assignment #1 and #2 will be in task list/essay format.
Assignment #1: Complete the HR II Assessment Task List. This is an assortment of reading and research items. This assignment will be due on March 31. Please submit your completed task list to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assignment #2: Choose one assessment from the list below. Consider which of these best apply to your school district or that you are most interested in exploring further. This assignment will be due April 15. Submit via email to email@example.com.
- You have just been notified that one of your fulltime teachers is expecting a child. Prepare a letter to the employee explaining how her leave will be administered. Explain and describe any attachments and enclosures you will include with the letter.
- Prepare a general statement on non-discrimination for your district that will be suitable for use in your employee handbooks and on your job applications.
Assignment #3: After you have read all the course materials and watched the online lectures, you may take your final exam. This will be a 25-question multiple choice exam. You may use your lecture notes and course resources to answer these questions. Once you have completed the exam, click “Submit.” A screen will appear with your recorded answers and final exam score. No proctor form is required for the assignments and exam.
Questions about the course? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org